Wednesday, September 8, 2010

jan's potato burritos.

i first had jan's potato burritos in high school...
susan's mom always had the freezer packed with them.
perfect for starving high school students who snubbed the lunch room chaos and nasty food.
i would've eaten these everyday if i could.
i made my mom call over and get the recipe...it is still one of my favorites.

you'll need:

1 1/2 lbs hamburger
garlic salt
1 stick margarine
1 bag shredded hashbrowns (thawed)
1 sm can diced green chilies
1/2 c water
2 c shredded cheddar cheese
flour tortillas (12pk...at least)

yes...there are two of some ingredients in my photo...i doubled the recipe this time so i would have some to keep in the freezer for a quick lunch.  but i'm giving you the un-doubled recipe.

brown and drain the hamburger.  add some generous sprinkles of garlic salt.  then add in your stick of margarine...chop it up and spread it around.
add in your bag of hashbrowns, green chilies & water.
cover and let steam until hashrowns are mushy.  (i use med-high heat the whole time)
stir occasionally so it doesn't stick to the pan.
when its all mushy add in your cheese and mush and mash it around.

throw a big spoonful onto your tortilla and wrap.
(i used soft taco size, but you can make them any size you want)
when i doubled it it made 27 all together...since i only had 24 tortillas i borrowed 3 from meg ..thanks!

you should always eat one first...maybe two and then wrap the rest up.  trust me.
i always wrap mine in bake potato foil and stick them in the fridge or freezer.
to reheat, just pop em in the microwave...preferably without the foil.
or leave them in the foil and stick on a baking sheet for 15-20 min @ 350*

YUMMY!!!!!!!

10 comments:

  1. These sound delicious!!
    Perfect for lunch on the go-- work or school lunches for the kids! YAY!
    I love new recipes!

    Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which Susan? Please tell me this isn't my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmmm. Those are some of my favorite things. Green chilis. Tortillas. Potatoes. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing---I always love getting new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll take some(: looks like you made plenty!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they aer soooo yummy.
    it was sucha special treat the other day....THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made those in awhile.....I bet hungry grandsons would like them as much as their mother and her friend Amy did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I <3 this recipe. I am literally making it now after coming across it Friday. Its seriously from HEAVEN! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted pictures on my blog - I made WAY more than expected :)

    http://familylifein2010.blogspot.com/2010/09/call-me-domesticated.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a simple, but yummy idea!!! I love the thought of having the freezer stocked with them. yay!

    ReplyDelete

i heart comments!!